All About What is Digital Marketing?
When someone asks you as to what is digital marketing? The next things come to mind – ‘digital marketing – An Online marketing!’. To be more precise, it is the marketing that connects your business with and influences the potential customers through online, i.e., here the digital marketing planning is performed with the help of new technology of digitalisation. This whole process of digital marketing is based upon the internet, the usage of which has been doubled over the past few decades.
Digital marketing tactics work with the combination of many different sets of marketing strategies that include email marketing, social media marketing or social network, online advertising, mobile marketing, etc. Even it does include blogging or content marketing, the main way of marketing where the content marketer gets the attention of the customers with their creative skill of writing. On the whole, all these techniques targets on a single goal of grabbing customers attention and makes the sales of their products or services.
Let’s explore more on the digital marketing assets and strategies that are used to reach out to the people through online,
Digital Marketing Assets:
Don’t get confused when you come across something like digital marketing assets. The asset over here is simply the marketing tool that is used online. Well, many people don’t realize how many digital marketing assets are there. Let’s see some examples,
- Your website
- Online products or tools
- Branded assets (Logos, acronyms, icons, etc.)
- Video contents (video ads, product demos, etc.)
- Written content (product description, testimonials, eBooks, blog posts, etc.)
- Images (infographics, company photos, product shots, etc.)
- Social media pages
You can find the other related digital marketing assets to fall into one of these categories, but every time every new way is introduced constantly by the digital marketers to reach the customers online.
Strategies of Digital Marketing
As digital marketing is used as a connecting channel to connect with customers online, it follows many strategies to build the business’s online with branding assets. A well-talented digital marketer will have a clear picture of how each digital marketing campaign supports their overarching goals. The marketers support the larger campaign through the free and paid channels at their disposal.
Just as a digital marketer, a content marketer can create a series of blog posts that serves an important role to generate leads in any business through creative writing. This is later enhanced by the company’s social media marketer, who then promotes these blog posts through organic posts and paid one, on the business’s social media accounts. Anyways apart from this, the email marketer also contributes to it by creating an email campaign to send these writing work about the business to as many customers as they can. Thus, the entire process creates awareness about the business.
Let’s explore in detail about the digital marketing strategies,
1) Search Engine Optimisation (SEO):
Well, SEO stands for search engine optimisation. This is a process that helps in increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to any website through organic search engine results. This process is used to provide ‘higher ranking’ to the page when the search engine is performed by the search engine providers such as Google, Bing, etc. Search engine optimization (SEO) mainly performs the optimisation depending upon the channels that include websites, blogs, infographics.
When it is about the organic approach toward generating qualified traffic to your website, there are several ways. These include,
- On page SEO: When it is about an on-page SEO, it focuses on all the content that exists ‘on the page’ when you look at a website. On page SEO is the practice of optimising element on a website to obtain a higher ranking. This is done to earn more equivalent traffic from the search engine. It optimises both the content and HTML source code of a page.
A proper way of SEO can also help the user to quickly and clearly understand the need of a page as what is it all about and whether it addresses their search query or not. It is essential for a digital marketer to understand the need of the customer or visitor, as the search engine can reliably serve, considering the high-quality content about a particular search query keyword.
- Off Page SEO: This is the type of SEO that focuses on all the activities that take place on ‘off the page’ when you look to optimise your website. Here, it deals with the inbound link that is also known as backlinks that play an important role. An off-page SEO refers to the activities that take place outside the boundaries of your websites.
It’s a tactics that can be used to improve the position of a website in the search engine results page (SERPs).
- Technical SEO: This is a type of SEO that mainly focuses on the backend of the website, where you can find the codes for the pages. This technical SEO covers different forms of optimisation that includes image compression, CSS file optimisation, structural data, etc. All this can increase the website’s loading speed, which is considered to be an important ranking factor during the search engine operation like Google.
2) Content marketing:
This concept completely focuses on the creation, distribution, relevant and consistent content with its promotion. This strategy of a marketing plan is built to retain a clear defined audience who can perform the business.
We can say that almost all the leading brands use the content marketing to promote their brands. As per the recent survey, the annual research shows that the vast majority of marketers uses content marketing to promote their businesses. The businesses that use content marketing make use of the three key reasons, i.e., increased sales, cost saving, and better customers who have more loyalty.
The channels that work for content marketing strategy includes,
Blog posts: In this, an article is written and published on a company blog. This can help you to demonstrate the industries expertise and generate organic search traffic for your business. This automatically gives you more openings to convert the website visitors into sales leads.
Ebooks and whitepapers: This form of content marketing is done to educate website visitors. Here, the content includes ebooks, whitepapers and similar long-term contents. It allows you to have the content from the user point of view that can generate the leads for your company.
Infographics: Infographics are the form of visual representation of data or content that helps the website visitors to visualise the concept that they want to know. It is the collection of imagery, charts and minimal text that gives a clear picture of an overview of a topic. This technique of creativity with visualisation is often most effective as it can grab the customers attention more easily than anything else.
3) Social Media Marketing:
Social media marketing talks about the way of gaining traffic or customers attention through social media sites. This platform includes Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest. Even it allows people to share short messages or ‘updates’ with others in terms of photos, joining events.
This way of marketing promotes your brands as well as your content on social media or digital media channels to increase brand awareness, generate traffic, and eventually improve the sales for your business.
4) Pay Per Click (PPC):
PPC is an online advertising system where the advertisers pay each time to Google for a user click on one of their online ads. In PPC ads, there are different types, but one among the most common type is the paid search ads. These ads mostly appear at the beginning of the search when people search for things online using search engine options such as Google, Bing, etc. These searches could be anything from a mobile device search to any gift articles or an online grocery or software, etc. These paid ads could be for anything.
In this pay-per-click advertising method, the businesses running ads are charged only when a user clicks on their ads. This process never guarantees the sales in a business, here the search engine like Google, Bing is responsible only to grab the customers attention to click on these paid ads.
The other forms of pay-per-click advertising include display advertisings such as banner ads, etc. These PPC ads are also used in other channels that include,
- Paid ads on Facebook: These ads are in the form of a video, slide show, or image post. Here, these ads are published by Facebook to the newsfeeds of people who match these business categories.
- Twitter Ads Campaigns: Here, these ads are in a series of posts or profile badges to the newsfeeds of people who matches these business categories of audience. The main goal of this is to drive the website traffic, more Twitter followers, tweet engagement, or even app downloads.
- Sponsored Messages on LinkedIn: Here, the users send messages directly to specific LinkedIn users, all depends upon the industry and background.
5) Affiliate Marketing:
Affiliate marketing is a famous technique that can drive sales and generate significant online revenue. This is extremely beneficial to both brands and affiliate marketers, here the new push towards traditional marketing has been paid off. Overall this process can be defined as where the affiliate earns a commission for marketing any company’s products or services.
Here, the affiliate simply searches for a product they enjoy, then they promote that product through the social media platform such as Youtube Partner Program, etc. and earn a piece of the profit from each sale they make. These sales are tracked through affiliate links from one website to another.
This affiliate marketing works by spreading the awareness of product marketing and creation across parties. Here, it manages to grasp the abilities of a variety of individuals for a more effective marketing strategy by providing contributors with the share in profit. The entire process works with the involvement of three different parties,
- The seller or the business owner
- The affiliate marketer or the advertiser
- The customer
Here, the seller places their product or service in the marketplace and allow the affiliate marketer to be the in-between person to sell their product. To sell the product, it is the responsibility of the marketer to search for the customer. For this, the marketer gets the help of different social media channels to get the attention and spread the awareness about the product.
Once, this is done, the visitors will visit the link to buy the product. And once the sale is made through the affiliate link, the commission or profit will be given to the affiliate marketer by the company instantly.
6) Native Advertising:
This kind of advertising refers to the advertisement where the use of paid ads matches the appearance, feel and function of the media format. These native ads are often found in the social media feeds or also recommended as content on a web page.
Unlike banner ads or display ads, native ads don’t appear to be like ads; instead, they appear to be a part of the editorial flow of the page. The key to native advertising is that it’s non-disruptive, i.e., it exposes the reader to advertising content without sticking out.
7) Marketing Automation:
Marketing automation can be defined as the software that automatically performs basic marketing operations. Here, many marketing departments can automate repetitive tasks that can also be performed manually. This includes,
- Email newsletters: This email automation allows you to send emails to your subscribers. But, it also helps you to shrink and expand your contact list as per your need. This can allow the newsletters to reach only the people who want to see them in their inboxes.
- Social Media Post Scheduling: This concept is focused on branding as well as marketing. Here, you need not post the contents frequently instead can post all the contents at once and have them schedule accordingly so that whenever a post appears, it will mark the presence of your organisation.
- Lead-nurturing workflows: This technique is all about generating the lead and converting those leads into customers. You can perform this task by sending specific emails and contents once they fit certain criteria.
- Campaign tracking and reporting: This marketing campaigns can include a ton of different people, emails, webpages, content, phone calls, and much more. The marketing automation can help you to sort everything you work by the campaign that it serves. This is followed by tracking the performance of that campaign based on the progress.
8) Email Marketing:
The concept of email marketing communicates with the audience via email. Here, the companies often used to promote content, discounts and events, and even direct the people towards business websites. There are different types of email marketing campaign that includes,
- Blog subscription newsletters
- Follow-up emails to website visitors
- Client welcome emails
- Loyalty program towards holiday promotion for members
- Tips or common series emails for customer nurturing
9) Online PR:
Online PR is all about earning online coverage with a digital publication, blog, and other content-based websites. It is moreover like a traditional PR, but in the online space. The channel used to maximize the PR efforts includes,
- Reporter Outreach via social media: Social media is always considered to be a gateway to develop a relationship with the people of different fields. For example, talking to journalists on Twitter, etc.
- Engaging Online reviews of your company: Well, it is quite possible for everyone to go with the review first when wants to know about a company, no matters whether the review is good or bad. On the contrary, these reviews also help in promoting the company’s brand. Thus, it delivers powerful messaging that can protect the reputation of your business.
- Visitors comments on your personal website or blog: Here, to create a good repo about your company, it is must for you respond to the people comments that are provided after reading your content. This is the best way to generate productive conversation.
10) Inbound Marketing:
This marketing methodology is the old but much effective one wherein the business attracts, engage, and welcome the customer to the company’s website to make the business. Some of the examples of inbound marketing are,
- Blogging vs pop-up ads
- Video marketing vs commercial advertising
- Email contact list vs email spams
As per a recent case study, digital marketing has marked its presence in almost all the field ins online busines. Having that in mind, this article has completely focused on the concept of digital marketing. I hope this would have given you a better vision of online marketing.